Recipe: Mexican Black Bean and Farro Salad
This black bean and farro salad is a great meatless, high protein salad that can even be used as the main course on your dining table. Don’t skimp on the dressing though. That’s the key component that brings all the flavors together. My kids devoured this recipe which left me empty-handed for any leftovers. I suggest making a double portion!
What is Farro?
I was new to this grain prior to last week. If you have not cooked with farro before, there’s no need to be intimidated. It is an ancient grain (a wheat variety) that is cooked similarly to rice and can be found in most grocery stores. Farro has a slightly nutty taste and great texture for a cold salad or warm morning cereal.
If you don’t happen to have any farro on-hand, you can substitute another ancient grain, like barley or quinoa. These would equally taste great and add lots of nutrition.
If your kids enjoy the Mexican flair and your hubby would like some meat, our Mexican Fiesta Salad recipe is another tasty option.
Mexican Black Bean and Farro Salad
- 1 Cup Farro well rinsed and cooked according to package directions.
- 2 cans low-sodium black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 large Tomatoes chopped
- 1 small Red Pepper diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium Cucumber unpeeled and diced
- 1 Handful chopped Cilantro
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 3 TBL fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 TBL Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tsp Fresh Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- Cook the farro in water, according to the package instructions. Allow to cool in a bowl while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- In a large bowl, combine the other salad ingredients. Toss in the farro and mix well.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over the salad and mix well.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until well chilled. This can even be made the night before!