Easy Crepes For Kids
I finally figured out a way to “healthify” one of my favorite European recipes–the Crepe! In my effort to get more healthy soy protein into our diets, it dawned on me that I had never tried the soy/flour substitution in crepes yet.
Crepes are one of our favorite desserts, brunches, snacks…you name it! These thin little pancakes are so versatile since you can add just about anything you like to them.
Well, I am no culinary chef for sure, but I did get successful today at using Instant Soy Protein in place of half the flour in our easy crepe recipe. And they tasted wonderful! This version of Instant Soy is wonderful to cook and bake with as it’s flavor is the same as flour and it’s very easy to digest.
The crepes we made today had banana slices and mini chocolate chips inside with powdered sugar on top.
My kids did not notice any taste difference at all using the soy, they felt more satisfied after eating their snack (the extra protein), and I felt good that I pulled off the switch!
No more high-carb flour-only crepes for this household.
Special Note: When cooking with soy protein powders, NEVER save and reheat your baked goods. This reheating process will damage the soy isoflavones, the most beneficial part of the soy. Only cook exactly what your family will finish off in one sitting.
Easy Crepes For Kids
- 3 Eggs
- 1 1/4 Cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup Instant Protein Soy Mix Shaklee product or similar
- 1/2 cup Unbleached All-Purpose flour
- 2 TBL lite tasting Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Fillings and toppings of your choice. (ie. bananas, yogurt, berries, etc)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and frothy.
- Allow batter to thicken a bit in the fridge if you like or cook right away.
- Heat small frying pan over medium heat. Pan must be at full temperature before cooking crepes.
- Drizzle some olive oil in pan and roll it around to grease the bottom (I typically repeat this step after 3 or 4 crepes.)
- While holding pan off the heat, add 3 Tablespoons batter to center of pan and roll it around quickly to cover the base of the pan. (If you're new to crepes, it may take a few tries to get the hang of it.) Return pan to burner.
- Cook for about 30 seconds on each side, until spatula easily slides under crepe.
- Remove from pan.
- Top with your favorite filling, and fold it up!
*Fill with banana slices and chocolate. Top with powdered sugar.
*Fill with fresh berries. Drizzle tops with favorite yogurt.
*Fill with ham and cheese. Special Note: When cooking with soy protein powders, NEVER save and reheat your baked goods. This reheating process will damage the soy isoflavones, the most beneficial part of the soy. Only cook exactly what your family will finish off in one sitting.